Firefox 126.0 and Hybrid UI

2 Answers 63 Views
General Discussions View
Steven
Top achievements
Rank 1
Steven asked on 16 May 2024, 06:05 PM
The latest version of Firefox released yesterday appears to have broken navigating between views in the Hybrid UI. Upon changing views the page goes blank. I am seeing this also happen in the demos: https://demos.telerik.com/kendo-ui/m/index

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Chuck
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 17 May 2024, 03:27 PM

We had this same problem.  There is a regression in Firefox 126 where they removed a CSS `Moz` vendor prefix property that the Kendo UI code uses to determine if the browser supports transitions.  You will probably notice that in your application that the page is actually rendered, it is just hidden with the CSS `k-fx-hidden` class.

Telerik devs, you can see the regression in the Firefox JS console.  Run this code in the JS inspector:

```
var element = document.createElement('table');
typeof
element.style.MozTransition;
```

You'll notice this property disappeared between Firefox 125 and 126.  I am opening a ticket with Firefox.

Chuck
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
commented on 17 May 2024, 03:41 PM

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1897490
Steven
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 23 May 2024, 02:42 PM

Thank you Chuck! That was very helpful. I was able to remove that class on view change and get things working.
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 21 May 2024, 11:52 AM

Hello,

The `Moz` vendor prefix is used only within the Less-based themes and the Hybrid demos are using the Less themes. The Less themes, however, have been deprecated:

R1 2023 was the last official release of Kendo jQuery, where Less Themes are supported and shipped with the product.

https://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/styles-and-layout/less-themes/overview

Furthermore, the Kendo UI Hybrid components have also been deprecated since the R2 2023 release. You can find more information about this decision in the following blog post, section Kendo Hybrid Retirement:

https://www.telerik.com/blogs/r2-2023-kendo-ui-release

That said, we will not proceed further with fixing the issue.

I remain at your disposal in case you have any questions.

Regards,
Nikolay
Progress Telerik

Stay tuned by visiting our public roadmap and feedback portal pages! Or perhaps, if you are new to our Kendo family, check out our getting started resources
Steven
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 23 May 2024, 02:44 PM

Upset we missed the deprecation buried in the release notes. I usually watch the email updates about releases and pretty sure it wasn't included in the emails. Also having issues with the popovers, ugh. We have a progressive web app that is web and a cordova app and there is no replacement for the view handling in Kendo's non hybrid components. Very frustrating and kinda upset we just renewed.
Nikolay
Telerik team
commented on 28 May 2024, 07:24 AM

Hi Steven,

The reason why we have seen a general shift in the mobile development space away from technologies like Cordova and a bigger focus on PWAs and cross-platform frameworks like Xamarin, Flutter, React Native, and NativeScript. You can check some more details in this GitHub issue comment which I linked for more reference and to clear up some space..

I understand that this is disappointing given the last sentence in your last reply. This decision is something that we have moving towards over the last few years and slowly been removing references to the hybrid UI framework from our public pages to avoid confusion. The official announcement and deprecation will remove the last references and only folks with the direct links will be able to access the content.

That being said, there are still ways that we can help. As I mentioned above and in my GitHub issue comment, we have been focusing on improving Kendo UI in order to have the regular UI components work within PWAs, which should be able to cover the features any hybrid mobile application framework could provide as well. If focusing on the look-and-feel of the UI components to fit the look-and-feel of each mobile framework I would highly recommend investigating Xamarin as this is a cross-platform framework to help with this exact scenario. Telerik also offers rich UI components for Xamarin. Additionally, if web technologies are a target for you and the team React Native or NativeScript can help use web technologies while still developing in a single code base to cover multiple platforms.

Kind regards,

Nikolay

Tags
General Discussions View
Asked by
Steven
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Chuck
Top achievements
Rank 1