General Discussions Installer and VS Extensions Licensing
Fit2Page
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Fit2Page asked on 23 May 2024, 07:16 AM
When I click "Get latest" the 2024.2.513 version is downloaded but does not appear in the dropdownlist so I cannot apply the update to my projects.
Lynn
Top achievements
Rank 2
commented on 07 Jun 2024, 02:55 PM

I am having similar issues...

I downloaded the 2024.2.513 upgrade using the Progress Control Panel.  No problem there.

I opened the project in Visual Studio 2022. No problem there.

I changed the project from .Net 4.6.2. to 4.8.  No problemm there, except as soon as the change was completed by Visual Studio a new window was displayed saying I need to upgrade Telerik Reporting.  I told it to go ahead and that seemed to run and it displayed the expected .xml file in Visual Studio when it was done saying all steps were completed.  Refer to attached LLahman_Telerik_UPgrade_Error2.jpg. It all looks fine.

I ran the application and when I got to the point where a Telerik control was called for I received the error shown in the attached screen capture LLahman_Telerik_UPgrade_Error3.jpg. Bascially, this is the error I have received in the past when a Telerik upgrade did not complete it's job saying it could not load the file Telerik.Web.UI, Version 2023.1.117.45...... because the located assembly's manifest definition does not match.....etc.

When I searched my entire solution for "2023.1.117.45", I received a whole list of licenses.licx files that still contain the old Telerik license number even the upgrade screen showed success for all controls. Refer to attached LLahman_Telerik_Upgrade_Error4.jpg .

I checked the web.config file and found the entry for the Telerik.Web.UI.  It was still pointing at the old version. So I changed that line of code which you can see in the attached screen capture LLahman_Telerik_Upgrade_Error5.jpg .  I commented out the old one, changed the line in the web.config file.

Now I am still receiving the exact same error that is shown in the attached file LLahman_Telerik_Upgrade_Error3.jpg .  The change in the web.config file apparently did nothing to improve the situation.

Can you please tell me how to fix my project so the new Telerik upgrade is running and so is my application:?

Thanks.

Lynn

Then after a re-build, I received the "normal" Telerik upgrade request (refer to attached LLahman_Telerik_Upgrade_Error1.jpg),

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 27 May 2024, 11:32 AM

Hello Marc,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

In the latest version of Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX we dropped the controls targeting .NET Framework 4.5. The announcement about this change can be found in the release history. You can also find more about the supported .NET version in this article.

In the particular case, I suspect that the project target framework is .NET Framework 4.5 or previous, however, no compatible Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX controls are available in version 2024.2.513 anymore. This is why 2024.2.513 is not listed. With that said, in order to upgrade to version 2024.2.513, you have to change the project target framework to 4.6.2 or later.

Please, let us know if that is the case on your side.

Regards,
Vesko
Progress Telerik

Stay tuned by visiting our public roadmap and feedback portal pages! Or perhaps, if you are new to our Telerik family, check out our getting started resources
Fit2Page
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
commented on 27 May 2024, 12:42 PM

Hi Vesko,

This is definitely the case.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Marc

Vesko
Telerik team
commented on 28 May 2024, 08:24 AM

Thank you for confirming this. Please, let me know if additional assistance is required. I will be glad to help you.
Claus
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 03 Jun 2024, 12:03 PM

Hello!

I had the same problem although all my projects were targeting .NET Framework 4.8.

My solution was to "upgrade" through the Progress Control Panel app first and then use the "Upgrade wizard" (Telerik extension) in VS 2022.

Regards

Claus

Rumen
Telerik team
commented on 04 Jun 2024, 06:19 AM

Thank you for sharing your approach, Claus!

It seems that the issue on your end was due to having an old VSX extension, which prevented you from seeing the new version, even though your project was on .NET 4.8. When you accessed the control panel, it updated the extension, allowing the new version to appear. This happened because the new extension could now locate it. After this update, you were able to use the Upgrade wizard successfully.
Herbert
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 08 Jun 2024, 10:15 AM

I have the same problem but could not solve it the wa< decribed above.

After installing the package from the msi file the Upgrade Wizard for Telerik disappears in all projects where it is used.

The message in the activitiy log says:

<entry>
    <record>1041</record>
    <time>2024/06/08 10:07:37.894</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
    <description>SetSite failed for package [VSPackage]Source: &apos;Telerik.CommonPackage&apos; Description: Die Datei oder Assembly &quot;Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading, Version=16.9.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a&quot; oder eine Abh&#x00E4;ngigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.&#x000D;&#x000A;System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Die Datei oder Assembly &quot;Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading, Version=16.9.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a&quot; oder eine Abh&#x00E4;ngigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.&#x000D;&#x000A;Dateiname: &quot;Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading, Version=16.9.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a&quot;&#x000D;&#x000A;   bei Telerik.CommonPackage.VSPackage.InitializeAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)&#x000D;&#x000A;   bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.AsyncPackage.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass20_0.&lt;&lt;Microsoft-VisualStudio-Shell-Interop-IAsyncLoadablePackageInitialize-Initialize&gt;b__1&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- Ende der Stapel&#x00FC;berwachung vom vorhergehenden Ort, an dem die Ausnahme ausgel&#x00F6;st wurde ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   bei System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   bei System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask.&lt;JoinAsync&gt;d__68.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- Ende der Stapel&#x00FC;berwachung vom vorhergehenden Ort, an dem die Ausnahme ausgel&#x00F6;st wurde ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   bei System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()&#x000D;&#x000A;   bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.RethrowException(AggregateException e)&#x000D;&#x000A;   bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.InternalGetResult(Boolean ignoreUIThreadCheck)&#x000D;&#x000A;   bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.GetResult()&#x000D;&#x000A;&#x000D;&#x000A;WRN: Protokollierung der Assemblybindung ist AUS.&#x000D;&#x000A;Sie k&#x00F6;nnen die Protokollierung der Assemblybindungsfehler aktivieren, indem Sie den Registrierungswert [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) auf 1 festlegen.&#x000D;&#x000A;Hinweis: Die Protokollierung der Assemblybindungsfehler f&#x00FC;hrt zu einer gewissen Leistungseinbu&#x00DF;e.&#x000D;&#x000A;Sie k&#x00F6;nnen dieses Feature deaktivieren, indem Sie den Registrierungswert [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] entfernen.&#x000D;&#x000A;</description>
    <guid>{D4F5086C-54B9-4B07-BD22-AF72D5B9228F}</guid>
    <hr>80070002</hr>
    <errorinfo></errorinfo>
  </entry>

Nikola
Telerik team
commented on 11 Jun 2024, 07:14 AM

Hi Herbert,

Thank you for providing additional information about the difficulties you experienced.

Based on the error from the ActivityLog our extension could not be loaded as a required assembly, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading, Version=16.9.0.0, could not be found. This assembly is part of Visual Studio version 16.9, so you will have to upgrade to this version or newer to be able to resolve the problem.

Please try that and let us know if it helped. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Herbert
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
commented on 11 Jun 2024, 08:48 AM

Yeah, great hint.

After upgrading to VS 2019.11.36 (latest version) Telerik Libraries are included that way:

Very helpful!

Nikola
Telerik team
commented on 11 Jun 2024, 12:44 PM

Hello Herbert,

This is a known issue in the current extension that is related to the upgrade command in the Telerik menu and the listed projects in the Upgrade Wizard - when the solution file is selected, none of the projects are listed in the wizard if any of them is not recognized as a web project (ProjectGuid: 349c5851-65df-11da-9384-00065b846f21) that references UI for ASP.NET AJAX. However, if a web project is selected, the upgrade commands (both the Telerik menu one and the project context one) initiate the Upgrade Wizard with the list of projects that reference UI for ASP.NET AJAX.

Please try selecting a project that references our product, then right-click it, and then launch the Upgrade Wizard. If this doesn't help please get back to us.

Herbert
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
commented on 11 Jun 2024, 12:59 PM

Hi Nikola,

thanks a lot, that made my day and my VS environment complete again.

We can close the issue.

Herbert

Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jun 2024, 12:08 PM

Hi Lynn,

The Upgrade Wizard is a part of the Progress Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX Extensions for Visual Studio 2022 extensions.

Can you please ensure that the AJAX VSX Extensions are updated to their latest version, since the earlier versions of the tool do not recognize the updated Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX assemblies built for .NET 4.6.2? Open Visual Studio -> Expand the Extensions menu -> Go to Manage Extensions -> Look for Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX and make sure that it is updated to version 2024.2.513.135 as shown in the screenshot below:

Please update the VSX extensions, test and let us know how it works.

Additionally, update the binding redirect to 

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="Telerik.Web.UI" publicKeyToken="121fae78165ba3d4" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="2023.1.117.45" newVersion="2024.2.513.462" />
      </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>

where the newVersion="2024.2.513.462" should contain the last three numbers of the Telerik.Web.UI.dll assembly version.

Last but not least delete the contents of the Licenses.licx file as suggested in this article: https://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/knowledge-base/common-how-to-fix-license-file-related-errors

Refer to these resources for more information:

Regards,
Rumen
Progress Telerik

Stay tuned by visiting our public roadmap and feedback portal pages! Or perhaps, if you are new to our Telerik family, check out our getting started resources
Lynn
Top achievements
Rank 2
commented on 11 Jun 2024, 04:38 PM

Attached is a screen capture (LLahman_Telerik_Upgrade_Error_8 Extensions.jpg) of my AJAX Extensions entry as described above.  It clearly shows the new version.  This is exactly how it was when the errors occurred.

Also attached are two additional screen captures (LLahman_Telerik_Upgrade_Error_6 VS2022.jpg and LLahman_Telerik_Upgrade_Error_7 VS2019.jpg).  These contain the version numbers of my VS2019 and VS2022 software.  As far as I can tell, my installed version numbers should be fine.  Please advise if you think differently.

I tried working with the licenses.licx file and have succeeded in ending up with a solution that will no longer build without errors.  It keeps telling me there is no licenses.licx file but I can see it sitting there in Windows File Explorer.

It would seem that I am going to have start all over from my good and operational version that does not have the new Telerik upgrade and go thru all of the steps again and it's a large solution with multiple projects contained within.

More news when I have some.

Lynn

Lynn
Top achievements
Rank 2
commented on 11 Jun 2024, 09:09 PM

Good news!  Problem resolved.  Here's what I did this time...

(1) I had already downloaded the new version using the Progress Control Panel.

(2) I had already upgraded my .NET to 4.8 (from 4.6.2).

(3) Third, I ran the upgrade inside Visual Studio (VS2022) to 2024.2.513.135 .  The upgrade ran fine. So just to keep it all "clean", I immediately closed the solution and Visual Studio and then re-opened and built the solution (ran fine).

(4) I then checked the web.config file line of code that references the Telerik.Web.UI version in the <DependentAssembly> section (see attached screen capture LLahman_Telerik_Upgrade_Error_9 web_config.jpg).  I changed the "oldVersion" value to the old version and then I changed the "newVersion" value to what I thought the new version was "2024.2.513.135".

(4) I re-built the solution and ran it under IIS Express.  When my test got to the first point where Telerik.Web.UI controls are referenced and used in the webpage, it blew up with one of the common errors that are documented elsewhere -- basically something about "...could not load file or assembly, etc., etc....".

(5) I checked the contents of the licenses.licx file and all the references in that file were the old version. I was concerned because I don't really understand the point of a file that contains pointers to outdated files and I cannot figure out why Telerik installation procedure can't fix this.

(6) I started poking around the solution references, web.config, etc. and I found an interesting item.  In the solution/project's references to the Telerik.Web.UI I had the presence of mind to check the details of that particular reference.  In my project (which I had not changed myself but the upgrade process had) the details of the reference were to "...\lib\RCAJAX\2024.2.513.462\Telerik.Web.UI.dll".  The important point, as I was just about to learn, was that the detail pointer to the .dll file included "462" as the 4th level of the version number.  Fortunately for me, my eyes picked that up because in the web.config file, I had entered "2024.2.513.135".  So just to try it, I went back to the web.config file and entered "462" as the final part of the Telerik.Web.UI instead of "135".

(7) I rebuilt the solution and ran it under IIS Express.  When I got to the first point where the Telerik controls are used.........it worked just fine.  So the problem was that the complete version number of the Telerik.Web.UI dll in the web.config did not match the complete version number of the actual .dll reference that the Telerik upgrade process had used.

You can see the reference from my solution in the attached screen copy LLahman_Telerik_Upgrade_Error_10 Reference.jpg .

As it turned out it was a really simple solution.  Oh, one last item...the contents of the licenses.licx file are still pointed at the old version. One weird thing, in a previous attempt to fix this with a different copy of the entire solution, when I deleted the contents of the licenses.licx file, then Visual Studio would not even build the solution successfully. It kept giving me an error that said the licenses.licx file was missing.  I don't get it completely, but it's all working fine now! 

Thanks to everyone who offerred thoughts on fixing this!

Lynn

Rumen
Telerik team
commented on 12 Jun 2024, 10:33 AM

Thank you for sharing the good news, Lynn! I am glad that the problem is resolved! 

You can check the https://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/knowledge-base/common-how-to-fix-license-file-related-errors and https://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/licensing#net-licensing-mechanism articles for explanation and ideas of how to troubleshoot the licenses-related problems.

Tags
General Discussions Installer and VS Extensions Licensing
Asked by
Fit2Page
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Answers by
Vesko
Telerik team