Visual Studio 2022 (.NET 8) issues

1 Answer 73 Views
GridView Visual Studio Extensions
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Michael asked on 28 May 2024, 06:08 PM

Hi.

I am playing around with a trial version of the WinForms suite. There are a couple of issues I am seeing from the start and haven't been able to find a solution, so I was hoping posting here might lead me in the correct direction.

First: Telerik UI for Winforms > Convert to Telerik Controls crashes Visual Studio 2022 (.NET 8)

I have a simple solution with one Form (not the Telerik version). I also have one RadGridView and one Windows DataGridView.

Doesn't matter what I try in the conversion wizard, VS2022 crashes. I tried selecting a subset of files to convert (the list of files never displays), tried selecting only DataGridView and tried selecting all control types. All result in VS crashing with no conversion having taken place.

I searched the Telerik Knowledge Base and the best I could find seems to indicate VS2019 is a requirement. And if you suffer from crashes, that solution only goes back to VS2017. I downloaded the converter and I can only select VS2017.

https://docs.telerik.com/devtools/winforms/winforms-converter/requirements

https://docs.telerik.com/devtools/winforms/knowledge-base/converter-exception

I tried attaching the ZIP file but it is 33MB and that is too large. The solution only has one form and two grids. With very basic hard-coded data to load (which I took from a Telerik tutorial).

Second: Adding a RadGridView to our existing .NET 8 WinForms project results in VS2022 freezing when I try to rebuild the solution.

I can't include code for this one. What I did was add a NuGet package to: Include="UI.for.WinForms.AllControls.Net80.Trial" Version="2024.2.514"...

I dragged a RadGridiew onto an existing Form that had a DataGridView. I then copied whatever loading I do for the DataGridView and bind the same List (around 100 rows) to both grids.

If I try to rebuild the solution, once it gets to the project containing the RadGridView VS2022 will freeze.

However if I run the solution, I see the grid loaded an populated

Thanks for any insights.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Dinko | Tech Support Engineer
Telerik team
answered on 30 May 2024, 12:49 PM

Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out to us and I am sorry to hear that your experience with our controls is not as satisfactory as expected. I will do my best to help you with the reported behavior. 

The sample project will be of great help to understand what is going on. You can remove the bin and obj folders of the project and send it here. These folders are generated from VS and I don't need them to run the project. 

For the conversion, can you share from which version you are converting your project? If you are migrating from .Net Core project, the converter does not support this. There is a feature request logged in our Feedback Portal regarding this.

Regarding the second behavior, I have tried to reproduce it on my side but to no avail. Can you check my project and let me know what I am missing from your implementation to reproduce this VS 2022 freeze?

Regards,
Progress Telerik

A brand new ThemeBuilder course was just added to the Virtual Classroom. The training course was designed to help you get started with ThemeBuilder for styling Telerik and Kendo UI components for your applications. You can check it out at https://learn.telerik.com
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 30 May 2024, 04:37 PM

We are using .NET Core 8, yes. So then the conversion option won't work.

The second behaviour is within our larger .NET Core 8 solution so the project you attached doesn't quite replicate the same scenario. Your attached project simulates the conversion (first behaviour).

Further for the second behaviour, I didn't change anything with the code but now I'm able to get a build going. I was having some issues with credentials for the trial NuGet feed in VS. I ended up deleting all credentials related to Telerik from the Windows Credential Manager and the logging in correctly to the NuGet feed. I'm not sure if this is what fixed the building, but at least right now it's building fine. Thanks. 

I guess one additional issue I wanted to bring up, since it affected me reply to this issue. This site seems to go down fairly often and that hampers my ability to evaluate solutions for what we might use the grid for. I get an error like "This site can’t be reached www.telerik.com unexpectedly closed the connection."

Nadya | Tech Support Engineer
Telerik team
commented on 04 Jun 2024, 09:09 AM

Hello, Michael,

I am really glad to hear that you managed to fix the building. Indeed,NuGet.Config file can store some information about the credentials, path, Nuget package sources and other settings. 

On Windows, if you enter and save wrong credentials for the Telerik NuGet or if there is some issue regarding Telerik credentials, you won't have access to the desired NuGet packages. It would be necessary to reset the credentials. Before you enter anew the correct user name and password, you should clear the saved credentials which seems to fix the problem on your end. 

I would like to share some useful resources about how to troubleshoot NuGet that may be helpful in future: Common issues that may occur when you use the Telerik NuGet server to install Telerik UI for WinForms packages - Telerik UI for WinForms

I am sorry to hear that the site goes down often on your side. I would like to note that you can download a pdf file with the offline documentation which is up to date with the online documentation. You can download the offline documentation for Telerik UI for WinForms directly from your Telerik account: Download Product Files - Telerik UI for WinForms

I hope this information is useful. If you need any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. 

Tags
GridView Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Telerik team
Share this question
or